If you’re looking to sell your home in today’s volatile housing market, you need to consider what you can do to maximize the value of your home. Interior and exterior home improvements, landscaping, and tree coverage can add significant value to your home and boost curb appeal. If done well, the latter can make any home look much more appealing. But poor or unmaintained trees can have the opposite effect. Trees are known to increase property value, but sometimes removing an old, dead tree can prove beneficial. Let’s look at how you can increase your home value by removing old trees from your landscaping.
How to Increase Home Value
Not every tree is suitable for your property. Your trees should be healthy, maintained, and planted in appropriate areas. Dying, infested, or dead trees not only bring down property value but can also pose a threat to anyone who encounters them. Below, you will find some smart tips to help you decide if you need to remove a tree on your property.
- If a tree appears to be 100% dead (hanging branches, missing leaves, peeling bark, cracked trunk, etc.), it will need to be removed by a professional.
- Poor tree design can hinder the value of your home by as much as 10%. If trees are planted too close to your home, large roots can grow underneath your property, causing extensive structural and plumbing issues. It’s generally recommended that trees are planted at least 15 feet from your home.
- Trees planted too close to other shrubbery, fences, or other trees, may need to be removed.
- Some tree species can dry out soil in your yard. Dry soil can cause ground shrinkage under your home’s foundation.
- Non-native trees can decrease property value because they require more maintenance than native trees.
- If a tree has branches hanging over your roof, it’s best to prune or trim the branches instead of removing the tree.
- Consider the other homes in your neighborhood. Too similar landscaping can be unappealing, and dramatically different designs can look strange.
Does Removing Trees Increase Property Value?
When you decide to remove a tree from your property, it’s important to understand the effect it has on property value. While well-maintained trees add instant aesthetic allure and a boost in curb appeal, nearly dead or diseased need to be removed. It’s also important to remember that property value plays a large role in your homeowner insurance premiums.
If you’ve been Googling, “Does removing trees increase property value?” stop your search now and contact The Tree Services Pros. Our arborists are here to answer all your questions and provide you with the best local tree services to help you secure top dollar if you’re looking to sell. Whether your trees could use a little TLC or you’re wondering how to identify a dangerous tree, our team is here to provide all of this and more. Contact our team today to schedule a service or a free estimate.